Sorrel (Oxalis) all know from childhood: it was curious to chew three-bladed leaves, to verify the accuracy of its national title - "sour clover." About nickname oxalis "hare cabbage" remains suspect, and that's why "ragged clover" - is still unclear. The botanical name of "oksalis" in Greek means "sour salt" - sorrel leaves have a sour taste due to the presence of oxalic acid and vitamin C. Therefore, some sorrel and added to tea instead of lemon and used in cooking instead of sorrel.
There are about 800 species of oxalis, common in South Africa, South and Central America, Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, Central Europe - a variety of annuals and perennials. Of oxalis is grasses, shrubs and sub-shrubs; some oxalis have rhizomes, bulbs or tubers edible. Oxalis leaves consist of three, four, five, six or more leaves, there are absolutely no sorrel leaves - they are replaced by advanced petiole.
Many sorrel leaves folded at night, when the bright sun or in front of the rain. Oxalis flowers are correct, the Five - white, pink, lavender, purple, or yellow; they are usually collected in umbellate inflorescences. Fruit of sorrel - a box, which when ripe with a bang burst, scattering the seeds to a distance of two meters. Of oxalis is and weed species, and very decorative, which are introduced into the culture of the XVII century and has since been widely grown in gardens and as houseplants.
Most common in the indoor horticulture under the name "Clover Happiness" (considered the best gift for happiness for Christmas) got oxalis species:
- Deppeya oxalis (O. deppei) - herbaceous perennial plant with nodules from Mexico, the height of 25-30 cm. Light green obovate, notched at apex, ternate leaves of sorrel covered along the edge of a purple-brown stripes. Collected in umbrellas 5-10 pcs crimson red, with yellow flowers adorn the base Deppeya oxalis growing in a bright room, and the whole summer to late autumn, and with additional lighting and winter.
- Purple oxalis or wood sorrel Beauvais (O. purpurea, O. boviei) from the Cape region of South Africa, with rounded, trifoliate, obcordate leaves and umbellate inflorescences of 8-12 pink flowers on short stalks. Purple oxalis blooms in late autumn and winter.
- Red oxalis (O. rubra) from Brazil with thin green leaves on long stalks and pink flowers in few-flowered krasnozhilchatymi umbrellas.
The rooms are also grown following deciduous species Oxalis:
- Oxalis Martius (O. martiana) height of 15-30 cm has ternate leaves spotted with golden veins and collected in Semiumbels purple-pink flowers.
- Zhelezistolistnaya oxalis (O. adenophylla) from Chile and Argentina forms small tubers and has compound leaves with 22 two-lobed leaves. The flowers are white with purple veins on the petals.
- Oxalis red meat (O. incarnata) from South Africa with creeping, slightly raises the stems and light green trifoliate leaves, of which there are single lavender-pink flowers. This type of oxalis has fusiform roots and tubers.
In deciduous after flowering oxalis dies aboveground part of the winter there is a period of rest (just meat and red sorrel has a rest period in the summer), during which the pot with shamrock placed in a cool place, only occasionally slightly moisten the ground to avoid drying out the tubers.
In room culture spread and evergreen species Oxalis:
- Ortgis oxalis (O. ortgiesii) from Peru, has brownish-red stalks and lodge the same color ternate leaves with deep grooves on slips of paper. The flowers are small, yellow, with dark veins on the petals.
- Carob oxalis (O. siliquosa) from Costa Rica lodge with succulent red stems and reddish ternate leaves, which are located in the axils of umbellate inflorescences golden-yellow flowers.
- Kopeechnikovidnaya oxalis (O. hedysaroides) - shrub with bright yellow flowers that grows in Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil. Her red leaves with three round-rhombic leaves when touched fold and unfold again soon. With a lack of light red leaves are green.
- Iglitsevidnaya oxalis (O. rusciformis) - medicinal shrub with yellow flowers of Brazil and Paraguay, whose leaves are replaced by broad, flat petioles. Broth petioles this oxalis Indians treat pneumonia.
All oxalis very decorative, unpretentious and deserve wider dissemination. Oxalis light-requiring, but can not stand the hot direct sunlight. Oppresses them and a very high temperature maintenance, oxalis grow well in cool place. Summer oxalis needs moderate watering and regular spraying. During the growing season oxalis fed weekly with a weak solution of complete fertilizer. Propagated sorrel spring: seeds, tubers dividing rhizomes, stem cuttings.
Oxalis requires loose soil from a mixture of peat, leaf, humus soil and sand (3: 1: 1: 1). To achieve a good decorative oxalis planted in a pot on a few pieces. Duration of flowering oxalis can be controlled by planting tubers at different times. Many species of oxalis are grown in hanging pots or baskets as a basket plant. Oxalis can be planted in the garden for the summer.