Among the many species of honeysuckle (Lonicera) are as bushy and vines - deciduous and evergreen. Honeysuckle-vines are good as ground cover for vertical gardening (registration arches, retaining walls and arbors; camouflage trunks of old trees and hedges).
Climbing honeysuckle decorate the garden at any time of the year, especially during the flowering period, when they are completely covered with elongated tubular flowers in showy inflorescences at the ends of the shoots. Lianopodobnye honeysuckle have many advantages: many leaves and abundant blooms, bright and fragrant flowers (they are excellent honey plants), ornamental fruit. The leaves of most species of honeysuckle elliptical top - dark green, bottom - blue-gray.
Of honeysuckles-vines in the garden most often grown species:
- Perfoliate Honeysuckle, or fragrant (L. caprifolium) - deciduous vine that can climb with the help of a support to a height of 10 meters. In central Russia is the most common of climbing honeysuckles; it is quite hardy, winters in the snow (shoot tips often freeze slightly). Perfoliate light-requiring, demanding on the soil fertility and moisture. The leaves are quite large (upper 2-3 pairs of leaves fused), turn yellow in late October.
Appearing on honeysuckle Perfoliate early summer flowers are very fragrant (especially at night), in white or yellowish, reddish or purple on the outside. Flowering it lasts for about 3 weeks. Fancy fruits ripen in early August and decorate the vine until late autumn. The orange-red berries of honeysuckle have a short stalk, framed by green leaves if they are illuminated.
- Mew honeysuckle (L. dioica) looks very similar to Perfoliate, but a "miniature" (up to 2 meters high). Decorative, stable, easy to propagate.
- Woodbine Honeysuckle or Perfoliate German (L. periclymenum) - Ordinary European deciduous honeysuckle (up to 5 meters). Unlike conventional honeysuckle, this species has on the tips of shoots fused leaves. Successfully grow in partial shade on well-blown spot on rich soils. Blooms in June-August; depending on the type of flower color can be white, yellow, pink, purple. The fruits are red. In conditions of Moscow bit freeze slightly annual shoots, but then the plant recovers quickly.
- American honeysuckle (L. americana) - the most powerful of all the climbing vine honeysuckles (reaches a height of 6 meters) with dark purple-purple stems and dense branching crown. Flowers in July for about 2 weeks; large fragrant flowers with purple cream base. It prefers loose, nutritious, moderately moist soil.
- Gekrotta honeysuckle (L. heckrottii) - a hybrid of American and evergreen honeysuckle, grows up to 3-4 meters. Flowers streaked (in yellow, purple outside) or orange-pink. It blooms continuously from June to September. In conditions of Moscow suffers from frost.
- Brown honeysuckle (L. brownii) - hybrid evergreen honeysuckles and rough; reaches a height of 2.5 meters. Has many garden forms with different colored flowers (they are usually odorless) appearing on the plant intermittently from June until late autumn.
- Honeysuckle Thalmann (L. tellmaniana) - very decorative deciduous vine hybrid origin. Blooms from the second half of June for 3 weeks; flowers orange-yellow colored, odorless.
Evergreen and poluvechnozelÑ‘nye honeysuckle-vines are very beautiful, but unfortunately, they are very heat-loving; among them:
- Japanese honeysuckle (L. japonica) - poluvechnozelÑ‘naya or evergreen climber with yellow flowers, climb the pole to a height of 6 meters; there is a form with golden, wrinkled leaves. Successfully grown in regions with a warm climate, in a Moscow strongly frosting (even in the snow) until death.
- Henry's Honeysuckle (L. henryi) - poluvechnozelÑ‘naya climber with brownish-red flowers; makes shading. Thermophilic, in a Moscow freezes.
- Evergreen honeysuckle blooms for 4-5 months or large reddish orange flowers up to 5 cm in diameter, which is then followed by brightly colored fruit. Very thermophilic.
Most species of honeysuckles, vines like a sunny location, but they are very favorably pritenenie at the base. Liana enough shade-tolerant (but in the shade flowering honeysuckles starts later and it is less abundant).
Honeysuckle-vines grow rapidly, many kinds of undemanding to the soil (but better developed on fertile, moist soil), tolerate transplanting and pruning due to the high pobegoobrazovatelnoy abilities. Liana thinned after flowering, while cutting unnecessary old stems.
Honeysuckle growing on marginal soils, it is recommended in the spring fed with chemical fertilizers. Propagated easily Woodbine Honeysuckle: seeds, green cuttings, layering.