Asparagus growers appreciated for elegant decorative "leaf-needles" on the thinnest flexible stems, forming as it were floating in the air fishnet green cloud, fountains or cascades-muslin. The apparent sharp, these "needles" to the touch, soft and tender.
Asparagus (Asparagus), or asparagus - a genus of plants of the family Asparagus, with about 300 species, most common in Africa and Asia. Exotic asparagus come from humid subtropical regions of South America. Asparagus - perennial rhizomatous grasses, dwarf shrubs or vines with curly or clinging stems and small flowers, single or in bundles.
Feature of asparagus is that it leaves them reduced (reduced), and their function is performed by leaf or needle-like "false leaves" -kladodii (from the Greek "klados" - a branch), or otherwise - phylloclades sitting in the axils of leaves underdeveloped. Cladodes - flattened leaf-stalk that acts as a sheet - the adaptation of plants in dry areas to decrease evaporation.
In decorative floriculture asparagus is widely used for a variety of interior design as a pot, ampelnoe or curly (the ladder trellis or lattice) plants. For the beautiful growth and achieve the maximum effect from the contemplation of this graceful plant is desirable to provide sufficient scope of its stems. Asparagus looks perfect in hanging baskets or basket. Cut asparagus shoots are often used to arrange bouquets and baskets.
In culture, the following are the most common types of original asparagus:
- Asparagus pinnate (A. plumosus), or bristle-shaped (A. setaceus) shrub with flowing branching stems, forming a lush delicate bush. Several of its forms. Stems are rare, converts down spikes; thin curved cladodes up to half a centimeter. It flowers in September and October with small white flowers on short stalks, after pollination of flowers formed round red berries. Young plant costs without support, and adult support is desired.
- Asparagus superfine (A. benuissimus) is very similar to asparagus feathery, but it cladodes thinner and longer, are located less than that of a p. The length of the shoots reach 1.5 m.
- Sprenger Asparagus (A. sprengeri), or gustotsvetkovy (A. densiflorus) - climbing shrub with overhanging bare woody stems abundantly branching, reaching 1.5 meters in length. Flat bare cladodes 3 cm long, 0.3 cm wide. Fragrant white or pale pink flowers appear around the escape; red berry-like fruits contain one seed.
- Asparagus medeoloydes (A. medeoloides) called "Medeol" - is a beautiful tall plant with strong branching stems and evergreen cladodes. Its branches cut long retain freshness even without water.
- Asparagus racemosa (A. racemosus) - has a long (up to 2 m) shoots; its linear-subulate cladodes collected beams. Fragrant bright pink flowers form a brush.
- Asparagus crescent (A. falcatus) - graceful climber, having the longest and thick shoots of asparagus. In nature, the length of shoots is 15 m, and their diameter - centimeter; in the conservatory or greenhouse length vines are usually up to 4 meters. From rhizomes grow rapidly flexible stem, covered with a plurality of crescent-shaped cladodes up to 8 cm, with crimped edges. Their color darkens with age. The plant tolerates pruning stems and forms a lush bush. Spectacular small white flowers with a pleasant smell collected in a loose inflorescence.
Asparagus is unpretentious; it is much easier to grow plants than most indoor plants because less demanding care and adapt to the conditions of detention. However, it grows well and forms an abundance of lush greenery near the delicate windows, with growth in a moderate temperature (not below 10 degrees in winter at 15-18 degrees) and humid air. The optimum temperature for the growth of asparagus during the active growing season 20-22 degrees.
Constantly high temperatures can be disastrous for the asparagus, so in the summer time when the intense heat increases humidity near the asparagus in all possible ways. Asparagus is adapted to partial shade or bright light (especially asparagus Sprenger), but direct sunlight should still avoid asparagus and provide indirect lighting, slightly pritenÑ‘nnye place.
During the active growing season from spring to autumn watering asparagus must be uniform and moderate (between watering the soil should dry out); winter watering is limited. From time to time it is recommended to water the asparagus from the pallet. Asparagus likes to frequent spraying, especially when the content of the heated environment.
Transplanted asparagus in spring; young asparagus rolled over each year, and adults rarely transplanted (2-3 years when the root ball completely sprout roots). Consider the following substrate: sod, ground sheet, humus and sand in the ratio (2: 1: 1: 1). Transfer asparagus is important not to damage the roots. Fed asparagus (from March to August, twice a month) with liquid manure and complete mineral fertilizer, alternating between them.
Asparagus is easily propagated by dividing the bush (all year), cuttings, seeds. It is better to divide the rhizome asparagus Transfer; delÑ‘nka each rhizome should have at least one escape. Green shoots of asparagus are used when propagated as cuttings; adult plants can be cut up to fifty cuttings, using last year's and older shoots. Cuttings are recommended in the second half of February to June; on the rooting of cuttings requires 1-1.5 months.
From seeds I had to grow asparagus Meyer (A. densiflorus myers) -TENDER plant with original upright candle-like "gustooblistvennymi" shoots. Its very dense pale green shoots resemble plume. Asparagus seeds before planting to soak in warm water (you can add a growth factor) for 2 days, from time to time changing the water. Prepared for planting the seeds are sown in an easy ground.
Seeds of asparagus temnovskhozhie, when planting them lightly sprinkled earth and moisten the crops from the sprinkler. To create a uniform moisture pot cover glass and the temperature is maintained at 24-27 degrees soil. Crops airs daily wiping the glass and turning it over; if necessary, moisten the soil to dry out. Seeds germinate asparagus from 3 to 6 weeks, the seedlings soon form a charming bushes.
When mechanical damage and podmorazhivaniya shoots and roots of asparagus growing gray mold; the excessive watering during dormancy develops root rot, for errors in care (from excessive heat and dryness) turn yellow and fall off cladodes; low-light image of a weakly curved shoots quickly yellowing and dying. When too warm wintering in dry air on the shoots of asparagus may appear aphids, spider mites and scale insects. Asparagus does not tolerate certain chemicals, so when planning his treatment against pests with pesticides to advance to conduct a test on a small twig, experienced tolerability of the drug used.
Among the wild asparagus is particularly common asparagus officinalis (A. officinalis), the young shoots of which have a specific taste and aroma. She is known to people since ancient times, and is depicted in ancient Egyptian monuments. In the Middle Ages, this asparagus divorced apothecaries for medicinal purposes, as well as vegetable culture, she began to be cultivated only from the XIX century. For food use young, thick, juicy, tender shoots of asparagus is not appearing on the surface of the ground; replaced by the cut-off shoots soon appear new.
They are boiled in salt water and fried in oil; cooked meal is not only a delicacy, but also medicine. Asparagus has a calming (with nervousness, tachycardia, and epilepsy) and a diuretic effect; reducing the pressure; recommended for cardiovascular diseases. Is used as a blood-purifying agent for acne, rashes, ekeme (in conjunction with the use of an external means in the form of lotions); as a means to increase milk production in nursing mothers. Infusion of fruits asparagus used for impotence and hemorrhoids.
Short rhizome drug asparagus is thick threadlike roots; erect stems reach a length of a man's height and covered with a green cloud "leaves", collected in bundles. In June and July asparagus blooms, its numerous greenish flowers appear in the axils of leaves on the main stem and branches. Over flowering plants constantly circling fat men bumblebees pollinating flowers, which covers the bottom of the nectar.
On some copies of asparagus are only male flowers, and on the other - just for women, which are then transformed into elegant spherical red berries. During the ripening of asparagus in the garden resembles openwork festive Christmas tree, studded with red balls, toys.